Since being retired, I’ve been really busy with the grandkids and other projects, but I have also been home more than I have ever been understandably. This year I really want to create a space that I love being in, not just living in. Starting with our bedroom.
The first project was painting and once that was out of the way I wanted to create a headboard. We have been using pictures as our “headboard” but I wanted something substantial and functional.
I found this headboard on Hometalk as my inspiration, made a couple of modifications and adjusted it to fit our king size bed. My husband and I then headed to the store to buy the wood. Here’s how we did it.
*Measurements are approximate and need to be adjusted for your preference and size of headbord.
Frame for wainscoting:
2X3 2 pieces 40” for the sides
3 pieces 65” to go across
2 pieces 16 ½” that are located where the wainscoting meets
2 4×4 posts at 59”
2 Decorative post tops
1 4×8 sheet wainscoting
Sheet rock screws 3”for assembly
Brad nailer 1” for attaching wainscoting or finishing nails
Molding to go across the top
Corner Molding to go down each side placed against post covering waines coating edge
To attach to the bed frame we used:
4 bolts 5/16 x4”
8 washers 5/16
Making the frame:
We used a pocket hole Kreg Jig for assembling the 2×3’s but, if you do not have a jig the boards can be screwed together without the holes.
Assemble the 2×3’s for the frame
Place the 16 ½ pieces where the wainscoting will meet so that there is material to nail and secure the edges. Also attach the 4×4 posts to the frame and attach the decorative tops.
Using liquid nails on the 2×3’s attach the wainscoting and then use the brad nailer or small finishing nails to hold the wainscoting in place while liquid nails dries. Where the two pieces meet either fill the crack in with caulk or paint.
Attach decorative top molding and corner molding using the nailer.
Fill nail and or screw holes with caulking…and prime and paint!
When attaching it to bed frame line it up and mark the posts where the holes need to be drilled. We made it so the posts sit on the floor but we added a piece of felt so it would not mark up the floor.
The final look!